A Stockbroker's Philosophy
I have a small stock portfolio, created during 40 odd years as a librarian.  I get a weekly email from the man who manages the stocks, who quotes some super-stockbroker who manages the entire company.

This week's email began:  "Time is a flat circle. Nothing happened this week that hasn’t happened before."  I researched it, and apparently he is paraphrasiing (without attribution) Matthew McConnaghy's character in True Detective: "Time is a flat circle. Everything we have done or will do we will do over and over and over again—forever".  Which apparently is a paraphrase of Nietzsche's "doctine of eternal recurrence."

And Nietzsche wept.......

I'd really be more comfortable if they used Tarot, or the I-Ching to manage my stocks.  Anyway I found this email both bizarre and funny because of its origins.
But if time is a flat circle then stocks will be back to the level they were at when you invested them eventually, so you don’t need a stockbroker….
(07-17-2021, 08:44 PM)TranquillityBase Wrote:  I have a small stock portfolio, created during 40 odd years as a librarian.  I get a weekly email from the man who manages the stocks, who quotes some super-stockbroker who manages the entire company.

This week's email began:  "Time is a flat circle. Nothing happened this week that hasn’t happened before."  I researched it, and apparently he is paraphrasiing (without attribution) Matthew McConnaghy's character in True Detective: "Time is a flat circle. Everything we have done or will do we will do over and over and over again—forever".  Which apparently is a paraphrase of Nietzsche's "doctine of eternal recurrence."

And Nietzsche wept.......

I'd really be more comfortable if they used Tarot, or the I-Ching to manage my stocks.  Anyway I found this email both bizarre and funny because of its origins.

Tqb,

I love the reference to Nietzsche's "Eternal Recurrence." I love his gnomist, aphoristic style in many of his works. I feel he is quite misunderstood.........I realize Sartre coined the term, "Existentialism," but retroactively appointed Nietzsche as a janissary thereof. Dostoyevsky, Faulkner, Camus, Beckett and others fall under this appellation as well.
You had requested texts on phenomenology- Sartre's Nausea would be a seminal work, albeit fiction. It predates Being and Nothingness but I have learned that if you want to 
isolate a philosopher's presuppositions, query his fiction. Hope it helps......
(07-19-2021, 07:49 AM)Brian Roberts Wrote:  Tqb,

I love the reference to Nietzsche's "Eternal Recurrence." I love his gnomist, aphoristic style in many of his works. I feel he is quite misunderstood.........I realize Sartre coined the term, "Existentialism," but retroactively appointed Nietzsche as a janissary thereof. Dostoyevsky, Faulkner, Camus, Beckett and others fall under this appellation as well.
You had requested texts on phenomenology- Sartre's Nausea would be a seminal work, albeit fiction. It predates Being and Nothingness but I have learned that if you want to 
isolate a philosopher's presuppositions, query his fiction. Hope it helps......

I love and periodically re-read Sartre's trilogy and did read Nausea decades ago.  Being and Nothingness is probably beyond my reach, but perhaps it's time to try again.  I'm still contemplating responding to my stock guy, but I'm not sure he'd appreciate a critique of his email.  I just wonder who reads this and says "Yep, I'm reassured I won't lose my retirement."